The state of Illinois is starving higher education in Illinois. Students aren’t receiving MAP grants, faculty and staff are facing furloughs and layoffs, and programs are being eliminated. Demonstrate that you have had enough!
Attend the Teach Out for Illinois Higher Education at the Capitol Building in Springfield on April 27 and demand funding for higher education.
10 AM – Meet at IFT Springfield office (700 S. College St.)
11 AM – Teach Out and Rally in the Capitol Rotunda
1 PM – March to the Governor’s Mansion
Why we’re taking action:
- Illinois regional universities have seen their state funding cut by 34% for the past 2 years
- Funding from the state for Illinois community colleges has been cut 73% for 2 years.
- 160,000 Illinois students who qualify for MAP grants have been denied funding.
- EIU has cut 413 positions (24% of its employee headcount) and mandated last year that all administrative and professional personnel take 18 furlough days.
- WIU has raised tuition and imposed a 4.2% across the board pay and budget cut.
- UIUC has eliminated 500 non-instructional positions.
- NEIU has introduced furlough days for 1,000 faculty and staff as well as 300 student workers, cutting compensation 18% for the remainder of this school year.
- Governor’s State is cutting 13 positions, eliminating 22 of its 62 programs, and raising tuition 15%.
- Chicago State’s faculty and staff have been cut by 40% causing enrollment to plummet.
- ISU has a hiring freeze on 129 faculty positions.
- SIU has cut 239 positions (50% of the cuts are faculty lines).
- SIU-E has cut 67 positions.
- McHenry County Community College has cut 25 positions.
- Joliet Junior College is raising tuition 14%.
- Sauk Valley is raising tuition 12%
Buses will be leaving from sites across the state to converge at the State Capitol. To reserve a spot on a bus, visit the UPI 4100 website.
- University Professionals of Illinois
- Cook County College Teachers Union
- UIC United Faculty Local 6456
- UIC Graduate Employees Organization
- Illinois Federation of Teachers
- Illinois Education Association
- Responsible Budget Coalition
Thank you to our community partners:
- Chicago Jobs with Justice
- Grassroots Collaborative
- Citizen Action Illinois
- Young Invincibles
- State Universities Annuitants Association (SUAA)
- United Working Families
- AFSCME Council 31